Campus Race to Zero Waste (formerly RecycleMania)
Campus Race to Zero Waste (formerly RecycleMania) is an eight-week waste reduction competition among colleges and universities across the U.S and Canada.
The competition takes place during U-M’s winter term. The 2021 competition will run from January 31 – March 27.
Battle of the Buildings
At the same time that U-M is competing against other schools, U-M buildings can compete against each other in Battle of the Buildings, an intra-campus waste reduction and diversion competition!
Battle of the Buildings challenges participating buildings on the U-M Ann Arbor campus to excel in three competition categories:
- Diversion Rate – Measures the percentage of total waste diverted from landfill (recycling and compost).
- Most Improved Diversion Rate – Compares the 2021 diversion rate over the course of the eight weeks to the 2020 diversion rate over the same time period.
- Waste Reduction – Compares the total waste (recycling, compost, landfill) in 2021 to the total waste produced in 2020.
How to participate
1. Register your building
Sign up to have your building included in the Battle of the Buildings, the competition between U-M buildings. You’ll receive weekly emails with rankings and tips.
We automatically include all buildings serviced by U-M Waste Management Services, which includes the majority of campus buildings, in the national Campus Race to Zero Waste.
2. Encourage others to reduce their waste and recycle and compost the rest!
We’ll provide a weekly theme, tips, and signage you can use to promote the competition. Encourage your classmates, coworkers, fellow residents, and others using the channels that work best for your audience—signage, social media, newsletters, and more!
Winning buildings receive an award to recognize their efforts.
Items included in the competition include:
- Single-stream recycling
- Shredded paper can be included provided you self-report the data no later than one week after the end of the competition. Include dated documentation.