Zero Waste Events
What is a Zero Waste Event?
UPDATE: We will not be providing free compostable disposables for zero waste events in FY21. Thank you for understanding. We are working on updating all of our materials accordingly. We will continue to provide compost collection service, boxes, and liners to events which meet guidelines. We may also have a small amount of compostable disposables to provide by request to events that demonstrate need. Please email email@example.com to inquire.
A zero waste event aims to reduce waste, recycle and compost as much as possible to divert waste from the landfill. Zero waste events are an important contribution to U-M’s waste reduction goal. Our assistance is primarily related to composting, but we highly encourage waste reduction and use of reusables as part of your event planning.
Your Zero Waste Commitment
If you are hosting a zero waste event on campus and receiving support from OCS, you are expected to:
- Communicate with your food provider your goal to go zero waste (e.g. no excess packaging, bulk options where possible, etc).
- Have a plan to prevent contamination n your compost collection.
- Let attendees what and where to compost.
- Set up compost collection boxes and ensure the bags of compost are placed into compost carts for pick-up following your event.
We have resources to help you with these steps below or you are welcome to email us for assistance.
How We Can Support You
The Zero Waste Events Program provides technical assistance and resources to departments and groups for on-campus events. We provide and arrange for:
- Assistance identifying compostable tableware, such as plates, cups and utensils
- Compost collection boxes and liners
- Compost service the day of your event (if the building doesn’t already have regular compost service). Just give us a week’s notice!
If you haven’t hosted a zero waste event before (or need a refresher), email firstname.lastname@example.org to have a member of our staff give you and your group a short training.